Melissa Harris, Of Counsel in KSF’s New Orleans office, practices securities and other complex commercial and class action litigation.
Prior to joining KSF, Ms. Harris worked at a large, well-respected regional law firm in New Orleans, where she handled defense of complex commercial litigation, government contracts matters, and government investigations in state and federal courts around the country, as well as before federal agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Federal Trade Commission, and United States Department of Justice. Ms. Harris also represented financial institutions and other companies in lawsuits under the federal False Claims Act and related state and local false claims laws. Ms. Harris has extensive experience with ESI and e-discovery and has presented and published on this topic numerous times.
Before moving to New Orleans, Ms. Harris clerked in federal court for four years in Hattiesburg, Mississippi for the Honorable M. Keith Starrett and the Honorable Michael T. Parker. A native New Yorker, Ms. Harris began her career at a large, prestigious defense firm in New York City where she handled complex commercial litigation, including antitrust, securities, and white-collar criminal matters, and regulatory investigations.
Ms. Harris graduated from Fordham Law School magna cum laude, in the top 2% of her class. Ms. Harris was a member of the Fordham Law Review, was Order of the Coif, and received the Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award and the West Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement. Ms. Harris received her undergraduate degree from Vassar College cum laude, with a major in Classics and a minor in Religion.
- Fordham Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Vassar College, B.A., cum laude
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Courts for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Courts for the Western Districts of Louisiana
- New York
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association